Does Your Company Use IBM Query/400?
If you’re like most IBM i customers, you have staff members who rely on IBM Query/400 to generate simple queries of your DB2 database. Query/400 has its limitations and hasn't been enhanced in decades, but your company may be running hundreds of Query/400 queries.
Many vendors provide query, reporting, and analytics software, but few specialize in supporting IBM i. Our solution, NGS-IQ, is used by hundreds of IBM i customers of all sizes, across every industry.
IBM has offerings of its own, including the product known as DB2 Web Query, which it provides through a partnership with Information Builders, Inc. (IBI). DB2 Web Query is derived from IBI’s WebFOCUS software product which originated on another platform.
Considering IBM DB2 Web Query?
If you're considering DB2 Web Query, we recommend that you look carefully at the following factors:
New Generation Software, Inc. (NGS) does not believe DB2 Web Query represents your best replacement for Query/400 or best IBM i-based reporting or analytics solution. If your company uses Query/400, we'd like to propose that you follow a more reasonable course:
- Ask your IBM Business Partner about ordering Query for i (Query/400) (5770-QU1) without DB2 Web Query.
- If you have licenses of DB2 Web Query that you have not installed, set them aside until you’ve evaluated alternatives.
- If your DB2 Web Query software maintenance (SWMA) is due and you aren’t using the software, speak to your IBM Business Partner about removing that line item from your invoice. Query/400 support is included in your IBM i SWMA and the software can be licensed without ordering DB2 Web Query.
- Keep using Query/400 while you explore your options.
- Order a no-cost, two-concurrent user license of our Qport Office™ software so that you can immediately enhance the output of your existing Query/400 queries.
- View a Web demonstration of NGS-IQ and see how our Query/400 API enables Query/400 queries with new features—without requiring any redesign.
- See how the complete NGS-IQ solution can take you far beyond Query/400.
Legal Notice: NGS believes all of the above information is accurate at the time of publication. However, IBM software products and marketing policies are subject to change at any time, without notice. Speak to your IBM or IBM Business Partner representative for current product, pricing, and support information. We welcome your comments.