If you’re like most IBM i customers, you have staff members who rely on IBM Query/400 to generate simple queries of your DB2 database. Query/400 was introduced with the AS/400 in 1988 and has remained essentially unchanged since that time. It has its limitations, but it’s familiar and you may be running hundreds of Query/400 queries.
DB2 Web Query is maintained by IBI and IBM software developers. It is a less functional, OEM version of IBI’s WebFOCUS software product which originated on another platform and was ported to IBM i.
When considering DB2 Web Query, we recommend that you look carefully at the following factors:
• IBM License Terms
• IBM Fees and Services
• Performance and the Development Interface
• Ease of Use
• Technical Support Relationship of IBM and IBI
• Initial Setup Time and Ongoing Administration
• IBM i Operating System Requirements
New Generation Software, Inc. (NGS) does not believe DB2 Web Query represents your best replacement for Query/400 or best IBM i-based reporting or analytics solution. If your company uses Query/400, we'd like to propose that you follow a more reasonable course:
- Do not install DB2 Web Query at this time.
- Do not pay the DB2 Web Query software maintenance invoice when it arrives shortly after the software. IBM will still provide technical support for Query/400 whether or not you pay for DB2 Web Query maintenance.
- Keep using Query/400 while you explore your options.
- Order a no-cost, two-concurrent user license of our Qport Office™ software so that you can immediately enhance the output of your existing Query/400 queries.
- View a Web demonstration of NGS-IQ and see how our Query/400 API enables Query/400 queries with new features – without requiring any redesign.
- See how the complete NGS-IQ solution can take you far beyond Query/400.
Legal Notice: NGS believes all of the above information is accurate at the time of publication. However, IBM software products and marketing policies are subject to change at any time, without notice. Speak to your IBM or IBM Business Partner representative for current product, pricing, and support information. We welcome your comments.